Situated on the banks of the River Tinto 6km upstream from the river mouth,
this bright village of 11,000 people, Gothic and Baroque houses and white-washed
squares adorned with flowers, has very strong link with the Voyage of
The greatest example of this connection with Columbus and the Voyage of
Discovery is to be found in the Convento de Santa Clara, designed by Alfonso
Jofre Tenorio, a Gothic-Mudéjar building surrounded by battlement-topped
walls. The Convent contains many beautifil works including paintings,
tilework, sculptures, precious metal craftwork, the magnificient Mudéjar
Choir seats and two beautiful cloisters in the same style. This was the
model for the construction of missions in the New World.
Other monuments worthy of mention are the Convento de San Francisco, the
church of Nuestra Señora de la Granada, with its tower of small
balconies reminiscent to the Giralda in Seville, as well as the Casa-Museo
(House-Museum) of Juan Ramón Jiménez (Nobel Prize winner
for Literature in 1956).
The Ermita de Nuestra Señora Monte-mayor (15th century) and the Casas
Consistoriales (Town Hall) complete the tour of the village.