Ciudad Rodrigo: Religious Architecture
The Cathedral is the most important religious
building in Ciudad Rodrigo. Although construction commenced around
1165, the building was not completed until 1550 and the result
is therefore a mixture of artistic styles. The most interesting
element of the façade is the Las Cadenas entrance, with
the frieze decorated with several sculptural reliefs. The interior
of the church is divided into a central nave and two lateral aisles,
each covered by rib-vaults. The Main Chapel, situated in the apse
of the central nave, has a stellar vault, the work of Rodrigo
Gil de Hontañón. Noteworthy are the choir stalls,
which contain several profane scenes carved by Rodrigo Alemán
in 1498. Meanwhile, the Diocesan Museum contains a collection
of religious art.
Located close by is the so-called Capilla del Marqués de Cerralbo, a outstanding temple in the Herrera style with a grand dome on a base providing the crest. The interior of the church preserves exquisite walnut reredoses. The old quarter contains other beautiful churches, such as those of San Agustín (16th century), San Pedro (12th century) and the Church of the Franciscanas Descalzas (17th century). Situated on the outskirts of the city, en route to the Águeda reservoir, is the 16th-century Monasterio de la Caridad.
Source: Web server of Instituto de Turismo de España, TURESPAÑA.