History of Pollença
The town of Pollença was founded in 1229 with the Catalan conquest of Mallorca, although the name comes from many years ago. Under the Islamic domination it was known as Al- Bulansa and by the Romans as Pollentia, although the Roman city of Pollentia is nowadays located in Alcudia. Placed in a valley enclosed by the Puig de Maria and the Calvary, Pollença is the main area in the municipality with more than 8,000 inhabitants. It has a historical old part already formed in the XVIIIth century, with a group of narrow streets and emblematic buildings as the Calvary, the Parish Church, Sant Domingo´s Cloister ans the Jesuit School. These are some of the interesting places to visit.