The Town Hall
Building is a superb example of Baroque civil architecture. It was laid out at the end of the 17th century and construction began in 1701, lasting throughout the greater part of the 18th century. The magnificent 50-metre long façade is flanked by two original twin towers.
At the foot of the main staircase is the cota cero, a point of reference for measuring the height over sea level of any point in Spain. Of particular interest are the Blue Room with its side chapel and the Salón de Plenos (the Plenary Room), located on the first floor of the building.
Santa Barbara Castle
Located on the summit of Mount Benacantil, which is almost entirely surrounded by the sea, the Castle can boast of fantastic panoramic views. Spread over a large area, its three main buildings date from the 14th, 16th and 18th centuries, although there are foundations that date back to the 11th-12th centuries. Iberian, Roman and Arab remains have been found here.
From among its many features, of particular note are the keep (Torre de Homenaje), the Engineers' Park and the Room of Philip II. The castle is home to several permanent exhibitions. It can be reached via an elevator set into the rockface opposite Postiguet Beach or by a road branching off from Calle Vázquez de Mella and running up through the pine trees on the northern slope of the mountain. The most prominent rock - an emblem of the city - is called 'the Moor's face' given its similarity to a human face.
Santa Faz Monastery
This monastery is located at a distance of 5 km from the town centre in the direction of Valencia. It is constructed in a pure Baroque style and in the exact spot where a miracle was attributed to the relic of a fold of the cloth with which Veronica wiped the bleeding face of Jesus and which was brought to Alicante on a pilgrimage in 1489.
San Nicolas de Bari Co-Cathedral
Built over the remains of a mosque and with a sombre exterior, the style is Herrero-Renaissance. Construction of the Co-Cathedral took the greater part of the 17th century. The cloister, however, dates from the 15th century, with the later addition of the Baroque doorways, a style that is again reproduced in great splendour in the Communion Chapel dating from the 18th century. The organ also dates from that century. The lower and upper parts of the Presbytery contain the altars of the two patron saints of Alicante, St. Nicholas de Bari and the Virgen del Remedio.
Santa Maria Church
Gothic in style and dating from the 14th to the 16th century, the Santa María Church was built over the remains of a mosque. The high altar in Rococo gold leaf and the Baroque doorway, both dating from the 18th century, represent two splendid examples of sculpture. Dating from the same period is the grillework. The priceless baptismal font, made of white Carrara marble, is of the Michelangelo school and was carved in the second half of the 16th century. The organ dates from the 17th century.
The church possesses an important document collection, the oldest piece being an incunabulum dating from the 13th century.
A neo-classical building, the town theatre was inaugurated in 1847 and recently restored. Its interior contains beautiful decorative items.
Tossal de Manises Iberian Settlement
The remains of the Ibero-Roman fortified town of Lucentum are to be found in Tossal de Manises. Lucentum, the origins of present day Alicante, dates as far back as the 3rd-4th centuries BC and continued to be inhabited until the end of the 3rd century AD. Located on a knoll and facing away from Albufereta Beach, it stretches over an area of some 30,000m2. To date, only 6,500m2 have been excavated, a task first undertaken by the Count of Lumiares in the 18th century. The walled area with its streets, domus, shops, hot springs, etc, can easily be visited on foot. Declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1961. Also guided tours on request.
This mansion house, dating from the 18th century and belonging to the family of the Count of Lumiares, houses the Provincial Archives. It has recently become home to the Provincial Fine Arts Gallery (MUBAG), which exhibits the Government Delegation (Diputación) art collection, consisting mainly of paintings dating from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The House of the Provincial Delegation
A neo-classical mansion house inaugurated in 1931, contains an important gallery of art works exhibited in several of its rooms. Behind the building is the Jardín de las Celebridades Alicantinas with sculpted and tiled monuments commemorating famous local personalities.
House of Witches
This Valencian Government building is a singular example of Modernist architecture dating from the end of the 19th century.