The "Romea" Theatre
From the 19th century. It was built by Manuel Molina in 1862 on part of the site of the former Santo Domingo convent. Opened by Queen Isabel II, it had to be rebuilt by Justo Millan after two terrible fires in 1877 and 1899. Designed in a collection of styles, it houses paintings by Medina Vera, A. Latorre and A. Meseguer. It is named after the famous local actor, Julian Romea, as is the square in which it stands, built at the northern end of the Arab city wall. Also giving onto the square are the convent church of Santo Domingo and the Archway which leas through to the Plaza Santo Domingo where the market was formerly held and the Vinader Palece, an outstanding example of 18th century civic architecture.