Campillos stands on a natural route which links the province
of Malaga with the north of the province of Cadiz, at one
extreme of the Antequera basin, among cereal and olive fields.
Its main region of scenic and ecological interest is the
zone by Dulce, Salada, Redonda, Capacete, Marcela, Cerrero
and Camuñas Lagoons, declared a Nature Reserve by
the Andalusian Regional Government. The village’s
most notable monument is Our Lady’s Church. Campillos
is also famous for its long tradition of producing leather
The region has been the scene of numerous archaeological discoveries pertaining
to prehistoric times, particularly to the Neolithic period, which have
appeared in the hills which fall within the municipal boundary; The Castillejos
was the site of relics from the Ibero-Roman era; and a Visigoth settlement
appears to have once existed in a location known as The Moralejo. In this
days the village dates back to 1482. After the conquest of Teba by Ramirez
de Guzman and the subsequent pacification of the area, natives of Osuna
came to work as coal merchants and cattle farmers, as a result of the
abundance of holm oaks and pastures. Settlers from Teba and Antequera
followed later. In 1680, the inhabitants of Campillos bought the right
to jurisdiction over their own village, which had hitherto belonged to
the Count of Teba, and King Charles II granted it full village status.
It was named the headquarters of the administrative district in 1821.
In 1975, with the building of Guadalteba Dam and the disappearance of
the village of Peñarrubia beneath its waters, the municipal area
of Campillos was extended by the incorporation of the territory of the
aforementioned location into its boundaries.