Malaga, spain information, andalucia spain map, map of Andalucia, map of spain

Maps of Spain to help plan your holiday.
ADVERTISEMENT Costa del Sol Holidays

Alhaurin el Grande Malaga


Situated close to the northern face of Sierra de Mijas, looking out over the spectacular Guadalhorce Valley, its territory is made up of citrus and other fruit trees and vegetable gardens. Neolithic, Phoenician, Greek, Roman and Arabic settlers have all left their mark on the area. Alhaurin el Grande is a prosperous village whose most interesting monuments are Our Lady’s Church, the Town Hall and Montellano Palace. Worthy of mention is Los Corchos Mill, which is still in excellent condition and works exactly as it did in Moslem times.

History

The Phoenicians exploited the AREA's silver and lead mines. The presence of a Roman town of some importance is evidenced by the abundant remains from the period to be found here, such as the aqueduct on the road to Coin, capitals, columns, headstones, sculptures, coins featuring Dioclecianus and Probus, and Cerrogordo ruins. Its Roman name appears to have been Lauro Nova, and it's generally thought that this was the ancient Lauro were, according to Floro, Gnaeus Pompeius, son of Pompeius, was killed by supporters of Julius Caesar, though no proof exists of this. The Arabs gave it the name Alhaur, meaning "the valley people", due to its location between the Faala and Arroyo de la Villa valleys, and built a fortress which dominated the AREA. This castle was blown up by the French in 1812; the parish church was later built on its foundations. Remains of other Moslem fortresses also exist in the municipal AREA, such as those of Jurique, Faala, Mentage and Rabaquel. In 1487, the village was conquered by King Ferdinand, following bloody assaults on Coin, the fire and massacre of Benamaguez - Casapalma - and the capture of Cartama, its habitants fleeing to Marbella; its land and castles were shared out among the Christian settlers, though a further redistribution was undertaken in 1492. Alhaurin el Grande, which belonged to the Crown, was dependent on the jurisdiction of the city of Malaga. In 1634, its inhabitants bought this jurisdiction along with independent village status for the sum of 4,459,916 silver maravedíes. King Ferdinand VI revoked this autonomy and placed the village under the jurisdiction of 1st Coin, then the Crown itself, adding the Fleur de Lys of the House of Borbon to its coat of arms. This coat of arms also features the Golden Fleece awarded to the village by Charles V for its loyalty during the Regional Wars.

Malaga province

Alameda information
Alcaucin information
Alhaurin de la Torre information
Alhaurin el Grande information
Almachar information
Alora information
Alozaina information
Alpaindeire information
Antequera information
Archez information
Archidona information
Ardales information
Arena information
Arriate information
Ataje information
Benagalbon information
Benahavis information
Benalauria information
Benadalid information
Benalmadena information
Benamargosa information
Benamocarra information
Benaojan information
Caleta de Velez information
Campillos information
Carratraca information
Cartama information
Casares information
El Chorro information

Colmenar information
Comares information
Competa information
Costa del Sol information
Estepona information
Fuengirola information
Gaucin information
Guaro information
Istan information
Iznate information
Jubrique information
La Axarquia information
Malaga information
Marbella information
Maro information
Mijas information
Monda information
Montejaque information
Nerja information
Ojen information
Periana information
Pizarra information
Puerto Banus information
Puerto Marina information
Ronda information
Torremolinos information
Torrox information
Velez Malaga information




All content © 2013 Spain-Map.com All Rights Reserved