Loja, the old Muslim town known as Medina Lawsa, was taken
by the Christians in 1486 and named "flower among thorns"
by Queen Isabella the Catholic. Its Islamic heritage can
be felt whilst wandering in the quarter of the Alcazaba
or fortress. The Christians erected grandiose temples and
civil buildings, and, in the 19th century, the Narváez
family embilleshed the town with palaces and gardens.
The fountain with 25 spouts
In Loja there are numerous springs such as the one which feeds this fountain,
also called Fuente de la Mora or fountain of the Moorish maiden.
Antigua Casa de Cabildos
This is a beautiful example of the civil architecture of the 16th century.
It is located on the Plaza de la Constitucion and currently houses the
Alcazaba and Caserón de los Alcaides Cristianos
It is a 10th century fortified area on a hill in the heart of Loja, which
the Christians used to build the Renaissance Caserón de los Alcaides