Granada, spain information, andalucia spain map, map of Andalucia, map of spain

Maps of Spain to help plan your holiday.
ADVERTISEMENT Car hire Granada

Granada villages Guadix


Guadix was known as Acci in Iberian times, and the Romans called it Colonia lulia Gemella Acci. Its current name comes form the Arabic Guad-Haix, which means "river of life". During the 15th century it was the court of El Zagal, who handed the town over to the Catholic Monarchs in 1489. It is a monumental town with buildings such as the Alcazaba or fortress and the Cathedral, which is a fusion of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. The view from the Mirador de la Magdalena is splendid.

The highest part of the town is the cave quarter, which creates an incredible landscpae marked by the contast between the read earth and the whitewashed façcades and chimneys of the caves.

The Alcazaba or fortress has been declared a national monument and dates from the times of the Caliphate. It was a fortress and a palace, and its towers show a paronamic view of the town and its fertile plain.

The Cathedral was builton the grounds of the Great Mosque. Its construction started in the 16th century. The interior is of Renaissance style and was finished in Baroque style. Its main façade recalls the style of Boromini, and its impressive tower overlooks the town.

The 17th century town hall or Balcón de los Corregidores is one of the most beautiful places in the Plaza de la Constitución, a square with arcades which illustrates the style of the Christians who came to settle in the area after the reconquest.

Granada province

Alhama de Granada
Almuñecar
Alpujarras
Baza
Guadix
Lanjaron
Loja
Montefrío
Motril
Salobreña
Trevelez

El Temple information
Lowland Area
Poniente of Granada
River Verde
Sierra Nevada
Valle de Lecrín

 

All content © 2013 Spain-Map.com All Rights Reserved